Moroni 7:47

"But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."
-Moroni 7:47

Friday, May 20, 2016

Week 29 - The Teacher

Hello to all our Family and Friends,

Oh, we are having a grand time! I love this experience even if it is hot and humid and we sweat a ton! 

I was reminder (again) this week that I am married to a wonderful teacher. Elder Lambert taught school for 36 years. He is also a lifelong learner. His passion is teaching science and the Gospel. He loves to teach! I am not bragging when I say he is a master teacher. Over the last few weeks we have adjusted our teaching to focus more on the doctrine and principles of self reliance and less on the program. We have counseled together and now have a presentation which is more in line with what we believe Heavenly Father wants taught. 

During a spirit filled discussion with returned missionaries on Tuesday he turned to me with a smile on his face and said, "Don't you love teaching returned missionaries!" It was so rewarding to see them catch the vision of how SR will empower them as they move forward with their lives. While eating lunch (chicken and rice) we asked them to share experiences from their missions. Here are a few of their contributions.... 
"I taught a blind man who was also crippled. After he was baptized the church got him a wheelchair and his son was able to push him to church." 
" A lady said her friends told her not to read the Book of Mormon for various reasons. She decided to read it anyway. She learned for herself it is true. She joined the church."
"One man was curious and came to church by himself. We taught him and three months after he was baptized he was called to serve in the branch Presidency." I love how the Gospel changes lives!

On Friday we met two BYU-Idaho business interns who will spend the summer here. They are working with our friends, the Potheirs (SR volunteers) and will join us occasionally when we visit member businesses. Because we knew they were coming we arranged for them to bring white shirts and exercise clothing for the missionaries at the MTC. Did I tell you that some missionaries from African countries arrive at the MTC with the clothes on their back and a plastic bag of personal possessions? Well, it's true. Their faith reminds me of the Savior's words "I give unto you this commandment that ye become even as my friends in days when I was with them, traveling to preach the gospel in my power: for I suffered them not to have purse or script, neither two coats." Long story short, we took the Potheirs and the interns to the MTC where they delivered two suitcases full of clothes. Sister Brubaker the wife of the MTC president was thrilled! 
Elder Lambert and I then helped new missionaries with their family history. More great stories!

On Sunday we facilitated a My Path devotional for 23 people at Anyaah branch. We didn't have enough books for everyone which was bad, but it was wonderful that so many of them participated.

So, like I've said, we are hot and sticky from the humidity, sit in the traffic for hours sometimes, and still don't understand all that is said, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I love being involved in this great work! There is so much goodness in Ghana.

The teacher and Sister Lambert


Josh, Bro&Sis Pothier, Kurt deliver shirts to MTC
Helping with Family History
MTC cafeteria- only ONE choice! (17 Obruni Elders)

No comments:

Post a Comment